Thread: still figuring out my frog :)

hophappygirl

Default still figuring out my frog :)

Last January I got a Indoniesian White's Treefrog. He is absolutly adorable!!!! I try to take good care of him and he is healthy so far, But i still have a couple of questions having to do with treefrogs, So if you have a treefrog I would love to hear some tips and tricks!!
    First Question: My tree frog (sir Hopalot) really doesn't care dor the tree in his terranium. He would much rather sit on his rock, on the ground, or in his pool.
    Secound: Is it normal for my frog to change color? He is normally green but lately he has turned a yucky brown shade.
    Third: In my frogs terranium I have some Branches,a couple fake plants,a rock,a small pool, and a bowl. The terranium is filled with that coconut fiber stuff. Is there anything else that I should have in his terranium?
    Thats about all. Thanks for reading!!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: still figuring out my frog :)

Hi and welcome to Frog Forum

I have not kept White's treefrogs, but there are many on the forum who do. Let me give you my take on your questions.

Question 1: Sir Hopalot is a cool name for a frog. I have noticed in my experience with frogs that they will do nicely without some of the frills. As long as the water/terrarium is clean, the food is good, and the temperature is right, is about all that's needed. I worked at a zoo as an amphibian keeper and kept frogs two different ways - in a very simple plastic box and one that has all the frills. Either way, the frogs were healthy and bred regularly. So preferring to sit on a rock rather than a tree doesn't seem unusual to me.

Question 2: White’s tree frogs have the ability to change color depending on environmental conditions. Temperature, humidity, light intensity, health, and the color of their surroundings all can affect what color a White’s tree frog is.

Question 3, I'll leave for the experts
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

hophappygirl

Thanks!!

BG

Hi and welcome to the forum. He turned brown cause his home is warm and humid. If it was cooler and dry ,then he would be green. When i got a frog from a pet store he was greenish blue. On the way home he turned brown greypurple. I kept him in a container with water and it was hot out. Now he is green.. I keep them at 76-73F and the humidity is 50-75 . It depends how much the humidity is outside

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome to the forum
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hophappygirl View Post
    Third: In my frogs terranium I have some Branches,a couple fake plants,a rock,a small pool, and a bowl. The terranium is filled with that coconut fiber stuff. Is there anything else that I should have in his terranium?
    Since I have not seen a picture, you might have this already. If that the case, ignore this advice.
    You really want alot of plants and other materials that creates climbing space, since they are tree frogs. A common mistake, if I may called it that, is just having some fake plants on a wall or a corner. It's much better to have it in the "empty space" in the actuall tank. Like hanging it from the top, or setting up alot of vines and put plants along them.

Welcome to Frog Forum!

Thread Information