Thread: Getting my whites tree frog tadpoles tomorrow.

mommyof4froglovers

Default Getting my whites tree frog tadpoles tomorrow.

We are getting 2 tadpoles tomorrow. I already have a cycled filter and am setting up my 10 gallon today with warm water and the cycled filter. My friend is loaning me a heater so I dont have to worry about the temp dropping on them. Any other advice. Oh and I have leaf lettuce to feed them and fish flakes, we also have freeze dried blood worms and frozen shrimp for our fish if they need any of that stuff. I want these tadpoles to both grow and thrive, we are doing a science class on them for my 4 and 5 year old girls. I dont want to add a death section.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Getting my whites tree frog tadpoles tomorrow.

A good quality fish food is all you should need, but variety never hurts. It sounds like you have things well in hand. Good luck!
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

mommyof4froglovers

I am glad, but I have never taken care of tadpoles before. Though all of our animals have been used in the home class room they deserve to have a great healthy life so I am always trying to find the way to make them happier.

spankyg

I raised about 50 whites tadpoles into frogs last december, with only 3 deaths (it happens).
    I split them up into groups, and I noticed EXTREME differences in growth rates... From what I gathered they love the warmth and thrive where they can get a little sunlight. They also appeared to grow better in a crowded environment but I would suggest you give them plenty of space to swim.
    I kept them in rain water which I replaced every few days and fed them boiled lettuce (which was then cooled before I fed them lol) and fish food (good for protein). When they get larger they will also eat bugs or any other dead organic matter they find (including their deceased brothers & sisters).
    Make sure you keep them in a well ventilated area, and don’t “kill them with kindness” lol, they are tough little fellas. If you have any questions don't hesitate to let me know
    Goodluck!

mommyof4froglovers

I have my 3 in a 10 gallon with a heater, a plant, a filter and a hood with lights. They are eating algae wafers that I have for my Chinese Algae eater. They get lettece alot to. Two of them have grown a full set of legs the othe has stumps. I dont know if the feet will form later but I am thinking he might not morph out. The two with fully form back legs though they are still small are always hanging out at the heater and are larger than the other one. I am not giving up though till they die or morph so this should be fun. Any advice is welcome though.

BG

Yup keep the water at 84 F and they will grow fast. The heat makes them hungry.lol. You can also give them bloodworms,blackworms and tubufex worms. Make sure the water is clean. You will be fine. The experience is priceless.

mommyof4froglovers

Thanks I dont have a themomenter in there but the heater is set at the middle temp. I have blood worms maybe I will try that.

spankyg

They will morph out if you give them time.
    Some of my tadpoles hadn't even formed stumps and others were complete frogs lol - some take longer than others.

mommyof4froglovers

Thanks. First time trying to raise tadpoles so I am nervous. So far they are doing good. The one I was worried about has finally got full legs. So I am happy. If they all live and survive to a size to fit with my adult frogs they will finish out my 64 gallon tank and we will need to upgrade to a larger tank.

Thread Information