Thread: African clawed frogs laying eggs - now inactive - need help!!!!

serena9674

Exclamation African clawed frogs laying eggs - now inactive - need help!!!!

I have (2) ACF that I have had for approximately 2-1/2 years.

I thought that one was dying and it turns out that she was getting ready to lay eggs. So now there are eggs all over the bottom of the tank and the female Hoppy is laying dormant in one spot in the bottom. The male "Froggy" is still active and moving and everything but she is not moving at all except an arm movement here and there. Thought she was dead and was going to take her out and bury her and noticed that an eye blinked and that the nostrils were moving. I know that she has not been to the top to get air or anything and the male has been over near and on top of her.
    Do females go dormant or anything after they lay eggs? Is there something else that I should be doing for her?
    Could it be just reflexes that are causing the eye movement and arm movement?
    I have taken her out a couple different times thinking that she was gone and put her back as she appeared to be alive just not active. She has not eaten since the day before all this went on that I know of.
    The male has been active, swimming, laying, eating, etc throughout this entire period.

Looking for some quick help and suggestions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: African clawed frogs laying eggs - now inactive - need help!!!!

If the frogs aren't in 100% perfect condition, the act of breeding (particularly for females) can be quite taxing and stressful. I would remove her and keep her on her own in shallow water so she can easily reach the surface. Monitor her eating habits. Hopefully she hasn't been stressed enough to succumb to a disease.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: African clawed frogs laying eggs - now inactive - need help!!!!

It takes A LOT of energy out of the female to lay that many eggs - - it is a very stressful and tiring ordeal

She has to carry the male around, deal with his forceful squeezing, expel the eggs...it is a huge undertaking and is the reason why females should never be bred more than 3 to 4 times a year. After breeding, most would separate the female out into her own tank away from the male so she can relax with out having the male pester her.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

serena9674

Default Re: African clawed frog laying eggs - now inactive - need help!!!!

Thanks off comments. I ended up losing my female. The larger male seemed to be ok. But today he is not eating or acting right. I took the water level way down so that he can breathe easily and made more room in tank for him. Can he die from sadness of losing tankmate?
    I actually just ordered him a male companion that should be here in a day or two.
    Will he easily adapt to new mate?
    Is there something else I can do help him now? He was fine last night and this morning.....
    He seems to be very inactive.
    Help. I do not want to lose him too.

Thread Information