Thread: New Fowler Toad Tank

WiiLF

Cool New Fowler Toad Tank

Here is my new tank for my Fowler Toad. 3 changes later and a lot of reading with in space of the tank I have come up with this:

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  74.2 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  29.4 KBName:  7.png
Views: 513
Size:  377.2 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  29.0 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  32.9 KBName:  321461_10150278943243096_516323095_7839955_2510989_n.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  27.2 KB

He really loves a hole he dug into the dirt on the left and enjoys leaps off the "skull rocks". Unintentionally a fish tank decoration and a rock under gave it that perfect effect haha. Its near the end of September so we'll see what he does during the colder season coming.

This is a awesome Toad found near my house at the river. I choose it over fire-belly any day.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Fowler Toad Tank

Looks like a great place for the toad, but my questions is can you change the water daily? It looks like it would be a hassle to dig it up every day. I have 2 toads in a 29long and need to change water at least once a day, some times twice. Even with humidity at 70% they still love to soak in it daily.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I like it. I do agree with Gail that it would be a pain to change the water.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Wormwood

It looks like a 10 gallon; I'd suggest a larger 20 gallon or even a 40 gallon breeder tank for such a large toad. Beautiful tank otherwise, just kind of small IMO.

In regards to the pool, just get a big sponge and a bucket ... paper towel it down and fill it back up.

BG

I found a foulers toad this summer. It was very pretty ..I was going to keep it but i didnt. I just got a cane toad last week. All it does is stays in his bowl. He hasn't eaten yet.He looks healthy.i tried superworms,roache,and a mouse. The mouse died from the frogs toxins in the water and cocofiber. How long could it take for him to get hungry ?

BG

Quote Originally Posted by Wormwood View Post
    It looks like a 10 gallon; I'd suggest a larger 20 gallon or even a 40 gallon breeder tank for such a large toad. Beautiful tank otherwise, just kind of small IMO.

In regards to the pool, just get a big sponge and a bucket ... paper towel it down and fill it back up.
    i thought fowlers get only 2 inches.

superphil92

You have a beautiful Viv. there! Beautiful toad aslo, very nice coloration for fowlers!

Wormwood

Take a look at the third picture to get a perspective of the toad George; it's fairly large. A 2-3 inch amphibian should have more room to move/hop around then a 10 gallon tank.

Some cane toads can be very finicky eaters, one of mine wouldn't eat at all for a few weeks. What I did was just leave crickets in the tank and sooner or later it would pick one or two off at night when I wasn't around. Later on when I knew it was eating crickets, while crickets are in the tank I'd introduce a super worm or two. It would get tricked, thinking the movement is from a cricket and eat it, realizing that's it's okay to target those larger bugs. From there I went to earth worms.

A ceramic dish with a high enough lip to keep the super worms and earth worms in it will be your best friend, something large enough that the toad can't tip over.

WiiLF

Thanks guys! The tank is a 10 gallon I believe, it is all I have for now but strongly considering a larger tank when possible. He ate very rapidly as soon as I got him never any issues. Often, I open the lid and put in some food for him to hunt for, he loves diving off the rocks, gets his instincts flowin'.

Does anyone know what people normally use for land material? I just grabbed dirt and formed to mud for the things I did, but what is preferred?
    His bowl is a bit of a pain but I scoop most of it up and sponge the rest of it once a week, topping up the water twice a week. He is very cool and really smart too I might add. He definitely knows whats up.

His "hole" in the soil is really funny haha

This is the best I could come up with, I was up for hours looking at professional tanks (without owning half of what they had)

BG

Very nice toad. They say females get double size as the male. Again thank you all for great info on your toads.

Thread Information