Thread: Recently acquired a Ceratophrys Ornata

Lazy Eyes

Default Recently acquired a Ceratophrys Ornata

I've recently acquired a Pacman from my friend and I've been nurturing it back to health. It's been two weeks since I've had Paku and she's looking a lot healthier now. She's eating properly and all, but she won't move out of her burrow spot (which I made especially for her) and I haven't seen her defecate yet. I doubt she's been impacted since I got her because Ive been watching her eating habits and she hasn't eaten much substrate (Eco-Earth coconut substrate). She's in a 20g tank with natural plants and some moss spread out thinly and evenly in certain areas. She also has a water bowl in which I haven't seen her jump into it yet. I tried nudging her gently to she if she moves, but she won't. Idk if I should hold her since I know that handling them bare handed isn't any good for them. She may be lethargic, but I am not certain. Any help in this matter would be deeply appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Recently acquired a Ceratophrys Ornata

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Eyes View Post
    I've recently acquired a Pacman from my friend and I've been nurturing it back to health. It's been two weeks since I've had Paku and she's looking a lot healthier now. She's eating properly and all, but she won't move out of her burrow spot (which I made especially for her) and I haven't seen her defecate yet. I doubt she's been impacted since I got her because Ive been watching her eating habits and she hasn't eaten much substrate (Eco-Earth coconut substrate). She's in a 20g tank with natural plants and some moss spread out thinly and evenly in certain areas. She also has a water bowl in which I haven't seen her jump into it yet. I tried nudging her gently to she if she moves, but she won't. Idk if I should hold her since I know that handling them bare handed isn't any good for them. She may be lethargic, but I am not certain. Any help in this matter would be deeply appreciated.

Some Pacs don't use their water dish much so that isn't much of a problem. Moss is bad if they eat it. It causes impaction. Your frog not moving much isn't too bad either as long as she is eating properly. They usually poop every week. Some go longer though. You can handle your Pac slightly just make sure you wash your hands thoroughly before and after. If you're worried about your frog pooping you can soak her in luke warm water for. A few minutes.

Lazy Eyes

Default Re: Recently acquired a Ceratophrys Ornata

I'll make sure to give that a go. Thanks for the advice! As for the moss, I keep it away from her burrow spot and eating areas (she's very picky about where she eats), and I'm always watching her when she eats (I'm a night creature myself, haha!). And again, thanks for the advice

Thread Information