Thread: Runny Poop

Sublime

Default Runny Poop

I believe to be about 4 days ago I started noticing 'mush' settled on the bottom of his water dish. I didn't think much of it, but I did notice that the smell was a lot worse (Indications of a parasite problem) when I would dump out his water dish into the toilet to change daily. At first I thought it was just coconut fiber that he dragged in, but tonight he left behind this 'mush' right underneath his back end. My local reptile shop had a change in crickets, after researching what type they were because I was curious I found out that they were the jamaican field cricket 'gryllus assimilis' instead of the common house brown cricket 'acheta domesticus'. These crickets were a lot bigger and meatier looking, he didn't seem to digest them as well because I noticed cricket heads floating above his water everyday after feeding him those. Do you think that change in diet may have caused unusual stools? I feed him crickets (gut loaded) with large night crawlers as a staple diet. His temps are perfectly fine, may be a little on the high side if anything.

I haven't found a solid stool since a few days ago left on his dirt back by the plants. The stools he's releasing in his water dish seem to be those runny 'mush' kind though. This is possibly a parasite problem with the diet I have been providing him with or bacterial problem? I've done some reading and people have suggested taking samples and bringing them to a vet for closer examination. They've recommended panacur or flagyl, something along those lines that I read.

This would probably be the closest examination of what I've come up with for the 'Basic Frog First Aid' care sheet written on this forum. Although he doesn't seem to be listless (Pretty jumpy when picking him up for feeding time, etc.), doesn't seem to hide for unusually amounts of time (Just when I'm changing out his water he goes back by his plants and burrows back there occasionally), however he is in the water a lot. I would highly doubt it's stress, I only pick him up if he's in his water bowl to change it or to pick him up when he gets put in his feeding bin. Last night he croaked . I don't want to misdiagnose something that may seem different to me, so could you guys recommend what your thoughts or advice on helping me out? Thanks everyone!

Listless, often found in water or hiding, watery droppings.
    Parasites in intestines, “Protozoa”
    Parasites are always present in the intestines, but they will cause problems when the animal is weak. Treat with METRONIDAZOLE (FLAGYL)
    1 drop in 8 drops of tepid water. Place one drop on the back of frog. Duration: Each day for 6 days. Treatment for the vivarium: 1ml per 5 liters of water; use this to spray the vivarium.

I know there is a 'How to do it yourself fecal exam', but that looks real complicated and would rather just take his stools to a vet if I really have to.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: Runny Poop

I really think you should get a fecal done by a qualified vet. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Sublime

Ok, thanks for the advice.

Sublime

It might just be coco fiber he keeps dragging into his water dish and I'm not catching it, maybe I should just wait it out for a solid defecation. I'm used to him pooping like 2-4 times after I fed him when I first got him, maybe his digestive system is slowing down and is pooping irregularly every 2-3 days. It's weird though because cricket heads keeping popping up floating on top of his water with pee which is the only reason really leading me to believe that he's pooping that 'mush' settled on the floor. I took a close examination of the 'mush' when I was dumping it into the toilet and it looked an awful lot like coco fiber. Can anyone tell me how often your pixies poop as juveniles 3-4 inches all the way up to adults. Thanks.

coastal20

My 3 babies which are 4 inches poop 2-3 days after feeding. My adult will take about 7 days after feeding.

Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by coastal20 View Post
    My 3 babies which are 4 inches poop 2-3 days after feeding. My adult will take about 7 days after feeding.
    Oh ok, that makes me feel a little better. He's like the same size as your 3 juveniles. Thanks for responding coastal, I'll check tonight to see if he does or tomorrow .

Sublime

Come to find out that I misinformed you guys due to my impatience, haha. He pooped fine back by his plants in the dirt last night. There is no runny mush poop, it has to be coco fiber he dragged in. Sorry .

Thread Information