Thread: New Pyxie Frog Questions

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New Pyxie Frog Questions

Hello everyone , I'm new to this site, and pyxie frogs in general. I picked up a pacman frog about a month ago, and 2 weeks later it died from Chytrid. The pacman was my first frog, and I did not recognize that he was acting strangely from the fungus. I still tried to give him the lamisil treatment, but I was too late.

Ok, now to brighter topics, I just picked up a new frog. He is a Pyxie, but as a giant or regular african bullfrog im not too sure. But I am mostly curious as to how Chytrid affects these frogs, and does anyone do preventative treatments for chytrid? I also was planning to keep him in the 10 gallon tank that I kept my pacman frog in, after I get rid of the coco-fiber and sterilize with a bleach solution. Would there be a problem with this? Obviously until he gets bigger?

Another question, I used coco-fiber for my pacman. I purchased my Pyxie at a reptile store in Twin Cities area. I asked where they kept the cocofiber and they said that they do not recommend cocofiber for Pyxies, and they directed me to the sphagnum moss. Now I have been doing a little more extensive research, and I am finding that the moss is actually less ideal. What do you guys think?

Currently he is in a sterilite (quarantine w/ paper towel substrate) so I can keep a good eye on him, and make sure he is healthy.

Thank you everyone that has read this, and to anyone who (may) respond.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Pyxie Frog Questions

Welcome! I am very sorry about your first pac, that had to be hard . I would definitely stay away from the moss, they can eat it and it can cause impaction in your frog. For some reason, the pet stores here all like to recommend that too no matter what kind of frog you happen to have. Good luck with your new baby.

Also, if you could please set your country as the terms of service requires this. Thanks!!

Edit - I linked you the wrong care sheet before, here is the one I meant to give you! http://www.frogforum.net/content/afr...-breeding-118/
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

BG

Welcome to the forum. There is plenty of info for pixies here . Its all based on personal experience keeping AGBF. There is a wonderful,and helpful care sheet. So don't be shy asking questions . We love to see pics . I'm really sorry about your pacman. Its not easy losing a pet.

FrogsRMe

I would recommend eco earth. I would also recommend culturing some dubia roaches, or you will find yourself spending lots of money, better start now while he/she is still young so by the time it is big your colony will be established a little.

BG

I forgot to tell you,lol Its not a good idea using sphagnum moss It might cause the frog impaction,and die. Like Zach said hope you can breed your own dubia roaches!!! I highly push the food issue.lol

Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by steest View Post
    Hello everyone , I'm new to this site, and pyxie frogs in general. I picked up a pacman frog about a month ago, and 2 weeks later it died from Chytrid. The pacman was my first frog, and I did not recognize that he was acting strangely from the fungus. I still tried to give him the lamisil treatment, but I was too late.

Ok, now to brighter topics, I just picked up a new frog. He is a Pyxie, but as a giant or regular african bullfrog im not too sure. But I am mostly curious as to how Chytrid affects these frogs, and does anyone do preventative treatments for chytrid? I also was planning to keep him in the 10 gallon tank that I kept my pacman frog in, after I get rid of the coco-fiber and sterilize with a bleach solution. Would there be a problem with this? Obviously until he gets bigger?

Another question, I used coco-fiber for my pacman. I purchased my Pyxie at a reptile store in Twin Cities area. I asked where they kept the cocofiber and they said that they do not recommend cocofiber for Pyxies, and they directed me to the sphagnum moss. Now I have been doing a little more extensive research, and I am finding that the moss is actually less ideal. What do you guys think?

Currently he is in a sterilite (quarantine w/ paper towel substrate) so I can keep a good eye on him, and make sure he is healthy.

Thank you everyone that has read this, and to anyone who (may) respond.
    Sorry for your loss, most reptile shops should be getting frogs that are checked for chytrid fungus wild caught or captive bred as a preventive measure. If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy your frog at? Since Chytridiomycosis is a highly contagious disease I would recommend to dispose of that tank and not even sterilize it. Get him a 58qt Sterilite bin for the time being with ventilation. However; If you want to, you do something like 20 parts water to 1 part bleach or 90% water and 10% bleach. Just keep scrubbing and get the bleach out, if you keep smelling it keep rinsing it till the bleach smell is gone. Make sure you rinse everything out and use a de-chlorinator. Throw away everything that came in contact with your last frog, plants that were in there, anything (It's not worth it risking your next frog coming in contact with it)... From a source I found on how to treat chytrid fungus: "I checked with the herpetologist we are working with about the dosage for dwarf frogs. I would use 10 squirts of lamisal AT into 400 ML's of water. Make enough solution for the frog to live in. You will need to change the solution every 3rd day for 3 times. Break down the main tank and sterilize." Steve Busch

That's good that you have him in a quarantined clean environment right now. Don't listen to those people that say moss is better for your pixie, there's a group of knowledgeable people on this forum that have had plenty of experience with these frogs to understand the benefits from a bedding vs another. Coconut fiber is great for pixies, allows them to burrow, keeps in humidity, and is risk-free if ingested. These frogs are sloppy eaters, it's not worth your frog getting a mouthful of moss and dying prematurely from impaction. Sorry if my post sounded kind of sad or gloomy, but I just want to inform you to benefit you . Have a nice day .... And remember always take pictures, we love to see them haha.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thank you everyone for responding.

Yeah the care-sheet on this site is by far the best I have seen. I would take pictures but I am away at school and I do not have a camera, otherwise I definitely would have included pics. When I go home sometime I will bring the camera back. I actually purchased my pacman from a reptile show, and I am positive that he had it when I bought him, since I had no other frogs, and he died so soon.

So I will for sure get the cocofiber then! I notice some people mix in shagnum moss with them is that ok?

Also the roaches really, really interest me. Where did you guys get your cultures?

So you think there is a way to save the 10 gallon or just toss it? I have heard of the 10% bleach solution and that was how I planned to clean it. Has anyone heard of pyxies getting chytrid? I have not heard anything, while it seems fairly common to pacmans (wish i had known that).

Sublime

Yeah the care sheet is great. You can put moss in there, although it is really not needed. Just make sure to never feed him on the moss, always in his water dish or on the coco fiber. Make sure you don't leave crickets or any other feeder in his enclosure if you're going to put moss in there in case he lunges at one and then ingests it. I bought my dubia roaches from my local reptile shop, if you don't have one near you then just order them online from a reputable website that has guarantees and so forth. Yeah I've heard of pacman, african clawed, african dwarf frogs being susceptible to the disease. Not to sure if pixies are immune to the disease, never heard of one having it. The disease is present in Africa so who knows, you don't want to take risks. Yeah just plan out your bleach solution and just nuke that 10 gallon, clean that tank to the bone. Let it dry out and you should have a very clean sterilized container to house your frog . Anything that came into contact with the tank though throw away, if you used cleaning utilities in the tank make sure they're sterilized so you don't cross contaminate the disease.

Sublime

Any remaining trace amounts of bleach in the tank, just add de-chlorinated water to the tank and rinse out.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok sounds good Mark thanks

Sublime

Np man, give us an update on your frog soon! Take it easy.

Thread Information