Thread: Is my green tree frog frog sick?

Karin

Default Is my green tree frog frog sick?

Hi-

I have a green tree frog that my son found about a month ago. He has always been active, usually he/she is near the top of his terrarium, on leaves, the wall etc... Today he has buried himself under the moss, and is not being active. He is breathing, but even if I move the moss, he doesn't run away. I added another tree frog (a brown one) about a week ago. Other changes I have recently made are removing the old cover, because it was causing too much humidity (it was a plastic cover, solid except for about a 2 inch opening that I covered with a screen). The poop and other parts of the cage were growing mold, and I usually clean it about every 5 or 6 days. So, I cut a piece of screen to fit the top, which has solved the mold problem. What am I doing wrong? I have never used a heater... we live in MN and I assumed if he is surviving our weather, he will be fine. We have had him since the beginning of August and he has been healthy thus far. I feed them crickets and spray the cage daily. I did just spray the cage a lot, in case he was getting too dehydrated... The other tree frog seems fine. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Karin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lacibeth

Default Re: Is my green tree frog frog sick?

Can you post some pictures of your frogs? What is the temperature and humidity? What are you doing when you clean the cage?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi Karin, please post pics of the tank and frogs.

As for the poop molding, due to the humidity needed for keeping these frogs, the poop will usually mold in a short time. A screen for air circulation on top will be good for the frogs but probably reduced the humidity. What are your temps and humidity levels?

You also mentioned you added a second frog to the tank... how long have you had the second frog quarantined before adding it?
    Was the frog a capture or store bought?

There are many things here that can cause the hiding and inactivity.... illness, low humidity, or intimidation come to mind.

Don
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Karin

Hi-
    I think I panicked, as he is doing better now, but I am glad I found this forum. I think ever since removing the old tank cover, and adding the screen to the top, it is ventilating too well...I need to mist the cage better now. I super-misted after posting earlier today. I sprayed him as well and added more water to his dish. After about 10 minutes he came out of the moss and jumped into his water bowl. He stayed there for about 10 minutes and then climbed the walls. His color is better (he was looking a little dull and gray earlier).

I do not have any instruments for checking humidity or temp. Don't yell , please advise as to what I should buy. This is my first experience with frogs and I don't know exactly what I am doing. We hadn't planned on keeping them but there were so cute I could not resist.

Both frogs were found outside. The first one we got at the beginning of August. I did some reading, as to what to use for substrate, how to feed and mist etc... but I guess I need more info. The second tree frog we found outside last weekend, he is really small, brown and has some stripes. We were at the cabin without internet etc... so I did not know to keep them separate. They have been in the same terrarium for over a week and this morning was the first sign of any trouble. I do take the smaller one out to feed, as the bigger green one (he's about 1-1/2 in.) eats all the crickets.

They are in a smaller hexagonal aquarium (maybe 5 gallons) that I made into their home. It is okay for now but I know I will need something larger. I use frog moss as substrate, I bought fake leaves/vine that suction cups to the inside of the cage. I also have a fake rock/cave that is made of plastic that the little one likes to hide in. I use hot water to clean the cage, about every 5 or 6 days. I have been completely replacing the moss each time. I feed them sometimes every day, sometimes every other, not sure exactly how much I should be doing. I usually put in about 4 or 5 small crickets for the bigger frog (Yoda) and try to feed the small guy (Cocoa) 2 or 3 separately.

I was able to get a pic of Yoda, but the other guy is really hiding. Will try again later.
    Name:  074.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  53.3 KBName:  075.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  61.8 KB
    Thank you for all the replies. I am a stay at home mom, who would really like to learn how to take care of these tree frogs, so my boys don't have to deal with dying frogs! Please help.
    Thanks-
    Karin

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Hi Karin,
    Glad to hear your frig has shown improvement :-)

I would pick up humidity and temp gauges at a local pet store. When selecting the gauges, compare their readings and if several are reading similar select one of those since they are not the most accurate things.

You want the humidity around 60 - 70 percent.

Since your using fake plants you will have to mist more often.
    If you put a full screen top on, you can cover it partially with a piece of glass or similar to cut back on ventilation and help retain humidity.

I'd recommend reading the care sheet for your frog found here: Frog Forum - White's Tree Frog Care - Litoria caerulea
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    His color is better (he was looking a little dull and gray earlier).
    If this is the one from the picture, turning gray isn't a bad thing, it looks like a Gray Treefrog to me (Eastern or Copes, the appearance is similar and the care is the same). They change colours like we change clothes. See Frog Forum - Gray Tree Frog Care and Breeding for care info. You're fine without a heater, but I find they do head to the ground and burrow if the temperature or humidity drop.

I'd remove the poop on a daily basis as you see it, sitting on a leaf next to your own feces ain't cool.

Your brown one could be a Spring Peeper (<- a guess based on size, colour, stripeyness, and a list I found of Minnesota Frogs, Toads and Treefrogs)? Pics would be good for an ID. If it's a Peeper I would definitely not keep them together for size reasons, Peepers are small and delicate, grays could potentially get large enough to make a snack out of the peeper, but it sounds like you may have already figured that out after you got them home

Karin

Thank you Don and Brian! Glad to have found this forum and such helpful people. Based on the links you posted, I think Yoda is a Cope's Grey. And, I think the other is a Spring Peeper, although he is still in hiding, so I cannot look at him right now to compare photos. Can you tell me how much I should be feeding my frogs and how often? I think I am doing okay, as they seem to be growing fine.... I will get the temp and humidity gauges tomorrow. Thanks again,
    Karin

Lacibeth

After watching my cope's tangle in the dual digital thermo/hygrometer I'm eyeballing the wireless ones at Lowes. What's wicked about these is that theoretically you can add up to three sensors (on the Honeywell brand at least) and monitor three tanks on one remote.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You need to get those frogs separated asap. You also need a bigger vivarium for both of them. 5 gallons is way too small. At a MINIMUM you would need a 10 gallon tank for each of these frogs. Preferably a vertical for the gray tree frog. If you don't get them separated and in bigger enclosures, they will both continue to have issues, and the gray tree frog will likely eat the spring peeper as their size difference is pretty big.
    2.0.3 Hyla versicolor "Eastern Gray Tree Frogs"
    2.2.0 Agalychnis callidryas "Red Eyed Tree Frogs"

0.0.3 Dendrobates auratus "Turquoise and Bronze"
    0.0.1 Anaxyrus fowleri "Fowler's Toad"

Karin

Thanks Amy, I will get them separated soon. I just need to find a couple tanks that are affordable. The Spring Peeper is about the size of a dime right now, is it ok to keep him in the smaller tank I already have for awhile, and just get a 10 gallon or larger for my Grey? Until my peeper gets a little bigger? I am guessing at size, I think its a 5 gallon. It is 12 inches tall and 9 inches across, it is a hexagon. Thanks for the info.
    Karin

Thread Information