Thread: How long after taking to land does the American toad usually hit its big growth spurt?

nicodimus22

Default How long after taking to land does the American toad usually hit its big growth spurt?

Hey folks. I have two American toads that I've had since June 6th. I believe that was the day that they came out of the water. Today being Sept 9th, it has been over 3 months since I've had them, and they have been growing very slowly for the past several weeks. They are roughly an inch long. They are eating plenty and also have access to a low-wattage basking spotlight in part of the tank. Are they behind in their development? How long after coming out of the water do they usually grow like crazy? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Poly

Default Re: How long after taking to land does the American toad usually hit its big growth spurt?

I'd like to know too!

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How long after taking to land does the American toad usually hit its big growth spurt?

Once you get them onto bigger foods than fruit flies then you should get some nice growth. Fruit flies aren't very nutritionally rich. They require heavy supplementation. For example, I rotate through 3 different supplements when using fruit flies for my dart frogs, and I dust every feeding.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

nicodimus22

I am feeding them a mixture of small crickets and fruit flies at the moment. I'll let them each eat a cricket or two, and finish up with some dusted flies if they are still hungry. I dust every feeding for now as well.

Poly

My toad really started to take off when I could start feeding it adult grasshoppers, I dust every feeding as well, but when it hits adulthood, I'll dust every other feeding.

Yesterday it ate 4 adult grasshopper in one meal, it's really packing on the weight!

Thread Information