Thread: Phyllomedusa palliata

Viv

Default Phyllomedusa palliata

I was looking through a book called Frog by Thomas Marent and there was a picture of these monkey frogs in amplexus called Phyllomedusa palliata and I was wondering... Have they ever been kept in captivity??? They absolutely fascinate me!!! Heres a pic or two of them and a little info on them if you haven't seen the before. CalPhotos Its a lot different from the other monkey tree frogs and thats what's interests me so much. So does anyone know much about this species?

Thanks
    Alex

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Phyllomedusa palliata

I've never heard of them being available, but that doesn't necessarily mean they haven't been in the trade before. I don't really know anything about them.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Viv

Hmm. Not much is known about them then. Are there any member on the forum who specializes in keeping monkey tree frogs?

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Michael Novy does but I am pretty sure he doesn't have these.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Grrrit

No I don't believe I've seen them over there. I wish he did though! Very cool species! Although he dies have a 9 year old species that I cant recall the name of and claims it if tbd only one in u.s. captivity. She looks more looks a vaillanti though. And is always sleepy when I see her.

Viv

Quote Originally Posted by Grrrit View Post
    No I don't believe I've seen them over there. I wish he did though! Very cool species! Although he dies have a 9 year old species that I cant recall the name of and claims it if tbd only one in u.s. captivity. She looks more looks a vaillanti though. And is always sleepy when I see her.
    OK, Ill email him and ask that if that frogs is palliata and ask if he knows if they have been in the hobby.

Grrrit

Alex- if your going to email mike look on his website and get his number. You'll get ahold of him much faster.

And I emailed a guy that I believe gets imported w/c frogs down in florida (not suggesting to ever purchase w/c frogs unless you are aware of the risks and are able to treat them properly) that I found on kingsnake . Com. I listed all the phyllomedusa that we gave available here legally and he said that, that's all that is available currently and wait until next test when "frog season" comes back in.

9. This member thanks Grrrit for this post:

Grrrit

Also you could try to find importers and or organizations that deal with importing wildlife to find out what is legal. You could marie your results by searching for countries your frogs are from and checking through 'cites' to see if they are protected. I've never done this, there may be an easier way to go about this. Someone else may have a better idea, but that is where I would start.

11. This member thanks Grrrit for this post:

Thread Information