Thread: Can anyone tell me what frog this is!?

Poly

Default Can anyone tell me what frog this is!?

I'd like to know, what kind of frog this is, and if it can be kept as a pet?

Here's a photo I took: Name:  012.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  117.2 KB

It's a little bit smaller than a penny, and I'm sure it's a tree-frog because of the pads on it's feet, that and how well it can climb/hop!

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lacibeth

Default Re: Can anyone tell me what frog this is!?

The faint "X" on it's back makes me thing spring peeper Pseudacris crucifer. That X is where they get their species name: crucifer is very roughly translated to "bearing a cross".

Spring Peeper, Pseudacris crucifer, note the cross pattern on it's back.

You can check here for the frogs in Ontario and the range maps to narrow your searches down. We don't have that many natives and you probably have less in the north

http://nhic.mnr.gov.on.ca/herps/frogs.html

a
    lso check here for descriptions:

Reptiles and Amphibians of Ontario | A New Ontario Reptile and Amphibian Atlas | Species | Protect | Ontario Nature

e
    dit-the second link has range maps too, I don't remember that but I might have missed it before.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

My guess would be spring peeper (Pseudacris crucifer) because of the dark brown, cross-shaped pattern on its back.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Lacibeth

Woohoo! Three guesses makes it right. Right?

Poly

I think it's a Spring Peeper too! Sooo, any info on keeping them as a pet, I'm checking the articles right now!

Not much info about keeping them in captivity I'm afraid. The very, very loud call of the males has made me hesitant to try (I do love Peepers though). A member here, LilyPad, has recently started keeping a bunch:

Frog Forum - LilyPad - Blogs

Quote Originally Posted by Lacibeth View Post
    Woohoo! Three guesses makes it right. Right?
    I feel like we all showed up at a party wearing the same shirt. But it was a stylish shirt.

Lacibeth

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    I feel like we all showed up at a party wearing the same shirt. But it was a stylish shirt.

But it was a very stylish shirt--there was some blue and some yellow and some hibiscus flowers, a parrot and a palm tree.

Poly

Okay then.... Haha, well I think I am fit for toads, not tree-frogs, so I re-released it. Couldn't think of something small enought to feed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lacibeth View Post
    But it was a very stylish shirt--there was some blue and some yellow and some hibiscus flowers, a parrot and a palm tree.
    It's almost like you've been in my closet.

Quote Originally Posted by Poly View Post
    Okay then.... Haha, well I think I am fit for toads, not tree-frogs, so I re-released it. Couldn't think of something small enought to feed it!
    Probably a good choice for the time being. Fruit flies and pinhead crickets are the norm for frogs this small. This has also contributed to me not trying to house a couple. While fruit fly cultures aren't hard to maintain, once I head down the fruit fly path it's only a matter of time before I start lusting after dart frogs.

Since they seem to be a new frog to you, I highly recommend that you go find some peeping peepers when they start peeping next spring. I'm always amazed at how much noise even one of these little guys can make. They're louder than even the most stylish shirt.

Poly

Haha, will do! Yes, they are very lound, I can hear them out of my screen door in the spring and fall, chirping away, just nice to sit and listen to! They chiry espically lound after it has rained.

Thread Information