Thread: Given Colorado River Toad

trbngropat

Default Given Colorado River Toad

Hello all, my buddy just gave me a bufo alvarius (colorado river toad) and I'm looking for some advice on caring. He said he bought it to get some drug from it and tripped too hard to ever do it again. He was just gonna let it go free but we are stationed in an extremely cold place and I didn't think the toad would make it more than a couple weeks. I researched as much as I could to set him up a temporary home and followed the directions from a post on this site. He currently is living in a 55 liter plastic storage bin with multiple holes cut in the lid. I put 3-4 inches of eco something that is condensed material that expanded in water, and moss three to four inches surronding the dish. The water dish in roughly one and a half inches tall (he is as large as my fist) and maybe three inces wide and is filled with distilled water. I've been feeding him with crickets bought from the local pet store. Is there anything else I should be doing or do anything different? I have no intentions of "tripping" off this toad, my wife and I just both really care about all animals and I couldnt stand seeing this innocent toad being put out to death.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ToadPaparazzi

I am glad to hear that your intentions are good. In the wild, these toads are found in varied habitats. They are from the Sonoran desert of Arizona and are found in areas with and without permanent water supply.

They are burrowers (and also can make a home out of a rodent burrow) as are most desert dwelling toads. Make sure you provide adequate substrate (I would recommend at least enough for it to completely bury itself. If it is still growing, your new found friend could possibly achieve 8 inches SVL (snout to vent length). They are the largest native toad in the US.

Whether or not you provide a permanent soaking area is up to you.

As for substrate, I like to use finely ground up coconut husk and reptile sand (I use 3 parts coco to 1 part sand, slightly moistened).

These toads are primarily nocturnal during their prime active hours, the temperature can range from mid-70s to low 90s... Anything in that range would be ideal...

For feeding; in the wild, they will eat pretty much anything that can fit in their mouth (even small snakes, lizards, mice and beetles)! You would be fine using gut loaded/dusted crickets and roaches. Field plankton from areas not treated with pesticides can also be offered. During summer monsoons, winged termites emerge in swarms and seem to be a staple in the diet of these guys.

I hop you find this information useful... They are among my favorite toads... If only they were legal to have as pets in the state of California...

Cheers!

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Given Colorado River Toad

Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Thread Information