Thread: 10 gallons of awesomeness

stolenheron

Default 10 gallons of awesomeness

I just picked up a bumblebee toad last monday. It came with a small exoterra cube which is plenty for 1 or 2 toads, however, I want a bit more for this little guy and maybe order some friends

built this 10 gallon setup this weekend. pond foam sealer, black silicone w/ cocofiber/peat moss/vermiculite mixed background, driftwood I collected at home, some moss and plenty of river rock pebbles. The tank had a huge crack on one side so my friend gave it to me for free, it wouldnt matter since it isnt meant to hold water. I resealed the tank with silicone and then added foam so the crack really didnt matter and wasnt visible.

I plan on putting my bumblebee and some bumble bee pals into this tank, but until I get more I decided to catch some local toads all about 1.5" (2 fowlers and 1 american) to test it out. so until I get more bumbles in, these guys will rule the terrarium and then be released back in the forest where I caught them. Oh I will also cover the layer of pebbles with peat moss when I move the bumbles in.

if anyone wants these toads they are welcome to pay for shipping for them or pick them up locally
    Last edited by stolenheron; September 5th, 2011 at 02:03 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Bulgaria]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: 10 gallons of awesomeness

Isnt it illegal to catch wild frogs?? And you want to even sell them?

Atleast in Bulgaria all amphibians and reptiles are protected by the law.
    1.0 Hyla cinerea1.0.1 Leptopelis vermiculatus

stolenheron

depends on the animal, depends on the state, depends on the land where it was caught.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I highly advise against what you're planning. By exposing the local toads to the bumble bee toad you will pass any diseases or parasites between the two. That means your local toads will have exotic diseases when you release them again. This is actually illegal in most US states. Even if the toads you collect do not get sick, they may carry the diseases to other amphibians in the wild who could get sick. Of course you also risk making the bumblebee toad sick from anything carried by your local toads.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

stolenheron

whoa whoa whoa, i do not plan on keeping them together at all.

I caught these fowler's toads to live in the terrarium temporarily until I get a few more bumbles (my bumblebee is currently in its exoterra setup, alone). after that, the fowlers will get released (where they were caught), the enclosure will be drained, cleaned (and a few patches of background will be fixed), then I will finish setting it up properly for the bumblebees.

the toads will never be in the same cage at the same time.

Thread Information