Thread: FrogFever 50g build water feature question. Opinions/advice wanted...

FrogFever

Default FrogFever 50g build water feature question. Opinions/advice wanted...

So tell me what you guys think here because I can't even sleep at night thinking about how I want this all to play out!
    This will be my tenth build in 9 months (a couple times building 2 at once), so I am pretty well versed on most common problems when it comes to vivarium construction. Which is to say that I found out the hard way. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1689.jpg 
Views:	4571 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	16688

I have already made two tanks with water features. One with a small stream running through it which flows in to a pond at the opposite end of the habitat. This one has given me few problems, if any.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	016.jpg 
Views:	8272 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	16689

The second one is my 18x18x24 for my super tiger legged monkey frogs. This one has a powerhead pump with a waterfall that drips both down a rock wall AND stream that flows throughout the top of the tank and pours out a (stronger waterfall) into the water feature. This water feature has created many problems for me... the seal to the sectioned off land area leaked and I tried to reseal it NUMEROUS times and it leaked every time. So I eventually opened up the sectioned off part to free flowly with the rest of the tank by utilizing a false bottom.
    AFTER I made a false bottom for the land part I then experienced the far end of the stream/waterfall leaking through the great stuff into the substrate! (I used thick, wide plastic tubing for the majority of the stream, except for at the end where it drops off.) So to remedy this I added rocks for the leaking section to drip into instead of the soil substrate. The water then just goes directly under the rocks, false bottom and into the water beneath. So I finally got all that situated and it works fine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7c639e6182c6__1306348888000.jpg 
Views:	1358 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	16692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56b289b8d30c__1306348779000.jpg 
Views:	1432 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	16693
    Name:  frog habitat.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  20.1 KB

Now for the point of this thread.... This 50 gallon.

Name:	June 2011, beach, frogs, vegas 235.jpg 
Views:	1858 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	16691

I am running short on space in my frog room and I've been dying to do an incredible display build for the living room (although I consider all my tanks to be for display). So I finally settled on a 50 gallon long that I picked up from goodwill for $25!
    I've reviewed numerous threads about water features and the many pros and cons dealing with them.
    The tank is massive and it will be in plain site to everyone. I REALLY REALLY want to do a water feature which incorporates either a drip wall/ rock wall waterfall, or a stream which goes from one end of the tank to the other before emptying into a very small pond.

This is where I need your opinion...
    If I do the water features I am concerned that something will not go right and will eventually leak/ break, soak the substrate somehow, someway. And it could be a huge undertaking to fix a 50 gallon depending on what it might be! And even if it does go right it can still be somewhat of a chore to change the water every week or two. BUT at the same time I feel like if I trouble shoot all these problems prior to the build (which I've encountered before) then I could pull it off and it would be an absolutely incredible habitat.

Bottom line is I want to GO BIG on this one! I don't/can't even think about anything else since I decided to do this. But I need to determine if I'm doing a water feature or not before I get the ball rolling. This is for display in my living room. And the type of dart frog is yet to be determined.

So tell me... if it was you, would the waterfall be worth it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ToadPaparazzi

Very much worth it!

Go big or go home right?!

I would recommend doing a rock waterfall... Design the waterfall so there is no run-off problems... To keep from having to deal with having to change the water, hook it up to a canister filter... You could plan out where you want the waterfall and where you'd want your pond... To avoid unsightly tubes running out the back and an extensive network of plumbing running through your substrate, you could have (or do it yourself if you're confident) holes drilled in the bottom of the tank where each feature would be.

I've never done this but when I get the space for a tank that size, that's the game plan

Either way, I think you should go for what you want! Just remember, don't rush... With proper planning and good advice, you'll have an amazing viv that could be the centerpiece of whichever room you choose to house that tank

FrogFever

Default Re: FrogFever 50g build water feature question. Opinions/advice wanted...

Thanks a bunch. I feel like my tank would be as extravagent if I didn't have some trickling water somewhere.
    Although I know 'how' to drill a hole in glass, that doesn't mean I can pull it off right the first time. I think it is a great idea though and would help on maintenance. I'm not sure what a canister filter is. And what kind of plug do people use to plug such holes?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I love the water features and the sound of the trickling water also. I found this web site and started my waterfall yesterday. There is a step-by-step video to help. It's a lot of work, but I hope it will be beautiful. You can do any shape using the foam. I imagine you could stretch it across the whole tank if it's at an angle. If you want real rocks I'd go through the whole process and add them when you get to the silicone step. Just a thought.

The first picture I found on the Internet.

Here is the web site. Good luck! Can't wait to see what you come up with. I'll keep the forum posted on how mine works and IF it works.

http://www.lizard-landscapes.com
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

ToadPaparazzi

Quote Originally Posted by FrogFever View Post
    I'm not sure what a canister filter is. And what kind of plug do people use to plug such holes?
    Canister filters are external filters. No hardware in or on the tank. I'll post a photo once I am back at my PC.

ToadPaparazzi

Heather: your waterfall is looking amazing! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks! It's pretty gun to make minus the mess . I just hope it works. I'll have to trial it and also make sure the water ph is safe.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Fun. Oops, my thumb hit the g typing.

ToadPaparazzi

Default Re: FrogFever 50g build water feature question. Opinions/advice wanted...

As promised, photo of a canister filter. I am a fan of Eheim brand...

Name:  eheim-2211-nano-canister-1.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  106.9 KB

FrogFever

Quote Originally Posted by ToadPaparazzi View Post
    As promised, photo of a canister filter. I am a fan of Eheim brand...
    Wow, thanks. Looks like I have some researching to do to figure these things out. Thanks for the heads up.

patty jones

Quote Originally Posted by FrogFever View Post
    So tell me what you guys think here because I can't even sleep at night thinking about how I want this all to play out!
    This will be my tenth build in 9 months (a couple times building 2 at once), so I am pretty well versed on most common problems when it comes to vivarium construction. Which is to say that I found out the hard way. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1689.jpg 
Views:	4571 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	16688

I have already made two tanks with water features. One with a small stream running through it which flows in to a pond at the opposite end of the habitat. This one has given me few problems, if any.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	016.jpg 
Views:	8272 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	16689

The second one is my 18x18x24 for my super tiger legged monkey frogs. This one has a powerhead pump with a waterfall that drips both down a rock wall AND stream that flows throughout the top of the tank and pours out a (stronger waterfall) into the water feature. This water feature has created many problems for me... the seal to the sectioned off land area leaked and I tried to reseal it NUMEROUS times and it leaked every time. So I eventually opened up the sectioned off part to free flowly with the rest of the tank by utilizing a false bottom.
    AFTER I made a false bottom for the land part I then experienced the far end of the stream/waterfall leaking through the great stuff into the substrate! (I used thick, wide plastic tubing for the majority of the stream, except for at the end where it drops off.) So to remedy this I added rocks for the leaking section to drip into instead of the soil substrate. The water then just goes directly under the rocks, false bottom and into the water beneath. So I finally got all that situated and it works fine.

Name:	7c639e6182c6__1306348888000.jpg 
Views:	1358 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	16692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56b289b8d30c__1306348779000.jpg 
Views:	1432 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	16693
    Name:  frog habitat.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  20.1 KB

Now for the point of this thread.... This 50 gallon.

Name:	June 2011, beach, frogs, vegas 235.jpg 
Views:	1858 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	16691

I am running short on space in my frog room and I've been dying to do an incredible display build for the living room (although I consider all my tanks to be for display). So I finally settled on a 50 gallon long that I picked up from goodwill for $25!
    I've reviewed numerous threads about water features and the many pros and cons dealing with them.
    The tank is massive and it will be in plain site to everyone. I REALLY REALLY want to do a water feature which incorporates either a drip wall/ rock wall waterfall, or a stream which goes from one end of the tank to the other before emptying into a very small pond.

This is where I need your opinion...
    If I do the water features I am concerned that something will not go right and will eventually leak/ break, soak the substrate somehow, someway. And it could be a huge undertaking to fix a 50 gallon depending on what it might be! And even if it does go right it can still be somewhat of a chore to change the water every week or two. BUT at the same time I feel like if I trouble shoot all these problems prior to the build (which I've encountered before) then I could pull it off and it would be an absolutely incredible habitat.

Bottom line is I want to GO BIG on this one! I don't/can't even think about anything else since I decided to do this. But I need to determine if I'm doing a water feature or not before I get the ball rolling. This is for display in my living room. And the type of dart frog is yet to be determined.

So tell me... if it was you, would the waterfall be worth it?
    Very nice pictures dear , too good.

J Teezy

major things to remember about water features

1. Water level, got to keep water over top of the intake filter at all times. I personally don't like having the pump inside the viv. If you want to go pro then drill your tank for an overflow and return and house the pump outside the viv in a seperate water holding tank that the main viv drains to. This is the best way to do it with no plubming inside the tank. Step up from that would be canister filter. Remember if your water travels through the substrate its going to get tinted brownish from the tannins.

2. Water goes where it wants, especially slow moving water. Be sure to test the feature several times to watch where the water is running so you can fix any unwanted runoffs.

I personnally don't think they are worth the hassle, yes they are awesome if you get a nice one going, but they eventually all fail at some point somehow. Darts don't need it, they are more for the owner and to provide a visual.

They take up ground room for dart frogs. Dart frogs are much more happier with lots of ground space covered in leaf litter than they are with a water fall and pond. I personally drill drains in my tanks and let any excess water drain out into a 5 gallon bucket that i empty every few weeks. Much less hassle.

Thread Information