Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
Like Tree1Likes

Springtails everywhere!

This is a discussion on Springtails everywhere! within the Food, Feeders, Live, Frozen, Culturing, etc forums, part of the General Topics category; Hello everyone this is my first post, My worm bin that i feed my frogs out of is infested with ...

  1. #1
    Member TheHornedToad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    67

    Default Springtails everywhere!

    Hello everyone this is my first post,

    My worm bin that i feed my frogs out of is
    infested with springtails. When i feed my worms the
    springtails swarm and cover the worms food in minutes.
    I dont know how they got there, I'm just wondering if this is a
    bad thing to have so many springtails. I rarely see my worms eating.
    Im kind of scared to get a worm for my frogs because
    they're everywhere.

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    Caspian
    () Gnag the nameless is offline
    100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    574
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Springtails everywhere!

    Welcome to the Frog Forum!

    Sorry for the long wait for a reply.

    A springtail infestation? Hmmm...

    What kind of worm is in there? Mealworm, earthworms, hawkworms, or waxworms?

    As for the springtails, I am not sure. However, I can go alert some of the moderators and experts on the Forum to help out. I'm certain they'll know what to do.

    Perhaps you could attempt to take a portion of springtails out by using a bucket or large container and scaring them into it. Just a thought. If you really needed to, you could remove as many worms as possible and place them in a separate container, thoroughly clean and wash the worm bin before placing the worms back in, thus getting rid all springtails.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

    Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

  4. #3
    Member TheHornedToad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Springtails everywhere!

    Thanks,
    Oh sorry its a european nightcrawler bin; I can't scare them into a bucket because there teeny. Are they really bad for the worms?
    Ive read they help decompose the food for the worms. It would be a really long process to clean off every worm if they are a problem.

  5. #4
    Ed
    () DartEd is offline
    100+ Post Member DartEd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    345

    Default Re: Springtails everywhere!

    Do you happen to have a picture of the infestation? Springtails are generally a cleanup crew. They eat mold fungus and other decomposing organic items in the bin reducing foul odors in the bin. As far as their effect on the worms, I'm unsure.
    Ed
    Ameerega Pepperi "Abiseo"
    Epipedobates Anthonyi "Santa Isabel"
    Dendrobates Leucomelas
    Ranitomeya Amazonica "Arena
    Felis Catus

  6. #5
    Member TheHornedToad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Springtails everywhere!

    Ill get a picture soon.

  7. #6
    Member TheHornedToad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Springtails everywhere!

    Name:  DSC_0215.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  108.6 KB

    This is on top of the food i feed the worms, they all congregate on top of the food. There are also some little dark ones in the mix and i think a few mites but, the white ones are definitely the main population.

  8. #7
    Dee
    () deeishealthy is offline
    100+ Post Member deeishealthy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Location
    Lower Mainland, BC, Canada
    Age
    46
    Posts
    264
    Blog Entries
    3
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Springtails everywhere!

    I'm actually jealous and wish I lived closer to you! I've been trying to get springtails and there is no where here to buy them.
    2.0.0 White's Dumpy Tree Frogs (Ernie n Bert)

    Ernie n Bert live in an 18x18x24 vivarium named Sesame Park.

    Could I be more happy? Only if I was a frog!!

  9. #8
    Member TheHornedToad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Springtails everywhere!

    heh, im scared of the little varmins you can have them all! I would ship them to you if you really wanted some but i wouldn't know how to go about it.

  10. #9
    Heather
    () Heatheranne is offline
    Moderator Heatheranne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Erie, Pa
    Posts
    7,824
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Springtails everywhere!

    That's quite a batch of springtails you've got there.

    Your best bet is to remove and rinse your worms with dechlorinated water and start a nice, new clean worm bin, with new substrate. Be sure to remove all springtails or they'll start again. Keep the new bin away from the old.

    Sell those springtails. We dart lovers and vivarium builders love them. Just be sure there are no mites in the batch if you do sell them. If you don't need them or want them you can bleach them and then dump them outside.

  11. #10
    Member TheHornedToad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Springtails everywhere!

    Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    That's quite a batch of springtails you've got there.

    Your best bet is to remove and rinse your worms with dechlorinated water and start a nice, new clean worm bin, with new substrate. Be sure to remove all springtails or they'll start again. Keep the new bin away from the old.

    Sell those springtails. We dart lovers and vivarium builders love them. Just be sure there are no mites in the batch if you do sell them. If you don't need them or want them you can bleach them and then dump them outside.
    I was thinking of getting some darts one day, there is a mite here and there so i probably couldn't sell them is there any sort of trap to get a lot out quickly? I don't really wanna put my hands where 2 million springtails are lol.

  12. #11
    Heather
    () Heatheranne is offline
    Moderator Heatheranne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Erie, Pa
    Posts
    7,824
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Springtails everywhere!

    Lol! Using gloves is about all I can think of.

  13. #12
    Heather
    () Heatheranne is offline
    Moderator Heatheranne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Erie, Pa
    Posts
    7,824
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Springtails everywhere!

    Oh wait! You can try adding water, springtails float. Just flush them down the toilet. Be careful not to drown the worms.

  14. #13
    Member TheHornedToad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Springtails everywhere!

    Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Oh wait! You can try adding water, springtails float. Just flush them down the toilet. Be careful not to drown the worms.
    This is gonna be a big project, ill remove the worms with gloves first. Then should i float the springtails or just throw all the soil out? Ive also thought if i buried the food the springtails wouldn't eat it and then there numbers will go down. Also i could bait the springtails with a piece of bread then put it in a baggie and freeze them.

  15. #14
    Member TheHornedToad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Springtails everywhere!

    Actually I have a new plan, im gonna bury the worms food so that they can eat in peace. Then I'm gonna give the springtails food separately this way I can raise both. Then ill sell the springtails here on frog forum so i can buy more frogs.

  16. #15
    Caspian
    () Gnag the nameless is offline
    100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    574
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

    Default Re: Springtails everywhere!

    That's... actually quite a good idea. What kind of frogs are you planning on getting?
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

    Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

  17. #16
    Member TheHornedToad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Springtails everywhere!

    I was thinking of raising money for some dart frogs or some ceratophrys cornutas; I would have to buy alot of stuff for the darts though so that will probably not be very soon.

  18. #17
    Christopher
    () fish4all is offline
    100+ Post Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: Springtails everywhere!

    Gotta love those tiny native springtails! Here is what I do to control them. Your lucky, my native species is 1/4 that size.

    First, you guessed it, bury the food. BUT, I can not tell what you are feeding the worms so be careful what you bury and how much. Grains and grain based feeds can and will sour quickly if not eaten quickly. If it is fruit and veggie scraps then go ahead without worry. Don't let clump of grain get buried, a light sprinkle after moving back some of the bedding and then bury it could work fine.
    Second, fly trap paper works great to catch them by the thousands. Stand one up in the bin and start them to the jump on it and you will control the population with 2-3 of those sticky insect/rodent boards. I had one that looked alive with so many on it.
    3rd, don't over feed! the worms will not starve but the springtails will look for another place to find food.
    4th, I find that feeding grains and bread breeds springtails faster than anything else. If you can feed some fruit and veggie scraps for a while and the population of springtails should decline over time.

    I never have gotten rid of them all. Unlike the tropical species of springtails these things are TINY. I have had the entire surface covered with them in a 5 gallon bucket rinsing my red wigglers to get rid of most of them, I had to rinse a dozen times just to make a real noticeable dent.

    As for selling the springtails, separating the mites should be easy. Mites don't jump so what you collect should be clean. Get a container and spook the little bugger so they jump everywhere and bag them up. I bet I could have sold 100,000-200,000 last year from cleaning my bins. But I doubt mien would be very useful because they are so tiny. Not sure if I want to try and collect them to sell them either.

  19. #18
    Member TheHornedToad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Springtails everywhere!

    Quote Originally Posted by fish4all View Post
    Gotta love those tiny native springtails! Here is what I do to control them. Your lucky, my native species is 1/4 that size.

    First, you guessed it, bury the food. BUT, I can not tell what you are feeding the worms so be careful what you bury and how much. Grains and grain based feeds can and will sour quickly if not eaten quickly. If it is fruit and veggie scraps then go ahead without worry. Don't let clump of grain get buried, a light sprinkle after moving back some of the bedding and then bury it could work fine.
    Second, fly trap paper works great to catch them by the thousands. Stand one up in the bin and start them to the jump on it and you will control the population with 2-3 of those sticky insect/rodent boards. I had one that looked alive with so many on it.
    3rd, don't over feed! the worms will not starve but the springtails will look for another place to find food.
    4th, I find that feeding grains and bread breeds springtails faster than anything else. If you can feed some fruit and veggie scraps for a while and the population of springtails should decline over time.

    I never have gotten rid of them all. Unlike the tropical species of springtails these things are TINY. I have had the entire surface covered with them in a 5 gallon bucket rinsing my red wigglers to get rid of most of them, I had to rinse a dozen times just to make a real noticeable dent.

    As for selling the springtails, separating the mites should be easy. Mites don't jump so what you collect should be clean. Get a container and spook the little bugger so they jump everywhere and bag them up. I bet I could have sold 100,000-200,000 last year from cleaning my bins. But I doubt mien would be very useful because they are so tiny. Not sure if I want to try and collect them to sell them either.
    You seem very experienced with this and have many great ideas. Since i don't want to kill the springtails I won't stop providing food for them I want to sell them. You say to just herd them into a bag? How many springtails do you usually sell i wouldn't know how to count them. I was thinking of just buying some 12 oz deli cups putting some soil in and herding a a few hundred springtails in with a sprinkle of food on top.

  20. #19
    Christopher
    () fish4all is offline
    100+ Post Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: Springtails everywhere!

    I don't have a cue how I would package them to sell them. Counting them would be a nightmare for me, a little easier with your larger ones but I wouldn't try to get a specific number. As for shipping, my best guess would be to use a medium sized container with larger pieces of charcoal and some water in there with a small amount of food. The larger pieces won't kill as many in shipping from what I have read. For selling without shipping, some charcoal in a medium container and some water with a good lid on it. I would cut the lid and hot glue some fine mesh on top for air.

    I would really have to research it before I tried selling them really but that is my best guess with the limited information I have found online about shipping them and packaging them.

  21. #20
    Member TheHornedToad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Springtails everywhere!

    Quote Originally Posted by fish4all View Post
    I don't have a cue how I would package them to sell them. Counting them would be a nightmare for me, a little easier with your larger ones but I wouldn't try to get a specific number. As for shipping, my best guess would be to use a medium sized container with larger pieces of charcoal and some water in there with a small amount of food. The larger pieces won't kill as many in shipping from what I have read. For selling without shipping, some charcoal in a medium container and some water with a good lid on it. I would cut the lid and hot glue some fine mesh on top for air.

    I would really have to research it before I tried selling them really but that is my best guess with the limited information I have found online about shipping them and packaging them.
    I did research a little, what some people say is that the charcoal is smooshing a lot of them in transport. Some people have switched to using soil as it kills less. I don't know if this a better idea because what if the delivery dude holds the box upside down; the soil will crush them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Springtails??
    By Dizzl in forum Vivarium, Terrarium & Enclosure Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: August 4th, 2014, 03:31 PM
  2. Wanted: springtails/woodlice
    By eric048 in forum For Sale/Trade
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: April 13th, 2014, 11:09 AM
  3. springtails and red eye???
    By Savannah in forum Tree Frogs
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: December 13th, 2012, 01:18 AM
  4. Can you have too many springtails?
    By hereces in forum Vivarium, Terrarium & Enclosure Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 17th, 2011, 01:22 AM
  5. Springtails and/or isopods
    By winyfrog in forum Vivarium, Terrarium & Enclosure Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 3rd, 2009, 10:04 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •