This is a discussion on neurological symptoms in FBT within the Fire Belly Toads (Bombina) forums, part of the Frogs & Toads category; Hello All, I have a FBT who is acting very strangely. It is very uncoordinated, spins when on the flat, ...
I have a FBT who is acting very strangely. It is very uncoordinated, spins when on the flat, flails in the water and moves his head sort of in circles. He ( not sure if its a girl or boy) does try to eat the crickets but often is not able to catch them.. I try to put them directly in front of him on a dark surface so he can see them but he often misses. He sometimes will eat a meal worm if they are very wiggly.. otherwise forget it. There are 6 other FBT's in the same enclosure and all are totally fine...well one only has one eye but that doesn't hinder him a bit. They are in a 29 gal, room temp, vivarium with land, water fall, small pool approx 4" deep with copious amounts of ledges and places to sit in the water without having to outright swim if they don't want too. Well water treated with Prime.. it is hard water with iron and sulfur but like I said I treat it. Fish live in it very well. The little guys hang out all over the place..some climb the plants, some hide in caves, some hang in the water. The neuro frog spends most of its time in the water on a ledge.. if he happens to get into the deeper water he sort of flails until he gets back on the ledge sometimes floating upside down for a bit before he gets upright again.. Does anyone know if there is anything I can do for this guy?? We have zero vets here that treat anything that isn't a cow, horse, dog or cat.. if you are a frog.. you are out of luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hello and welcome to FF! Well, not sure what is going on with your frog, but first recommend take a look at this article and ensure all their needs are being met: Frog Forum - Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives. It would also help if you tell us more about the frog and this neuro condition (i.e. how long has frog been showing symptoms) Please answer these questions the best you can. Thank you and good luck !
“Trouble in the Frog Enclosure”
The following information will be very helpful if provided when requesting assistance with either your frog or enclosure. To help with your questions, please utilize the below list and post the information in the proper forum area to get advice from FF members that keep the same frog. This will allow for little confusion and a faster more informed response.
1. Size of enclosure
2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
6. Materials used for substrate
7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials.
- How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
8. Main food source
9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
12. When is the last time he/she ate
13. Have you found poop lately
14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
15. How old is the frog
16. How long have you owned him/her
17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
19. How often the frog is handled
20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)
by Lynn(Flybyferns) and GrifTheGreat.
Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)